1. avatar Dan charles says:

Hi all at Carey’s. First off love the site – as a committed smoker of some thirty one years, I have recently made the transfer from cigarettes to the splendid and far more satisfying pastime of pipe smoking. Oh the joy, the tranquillity, I have just been given a magic inch pipe and am very impressed, smoked cool down to a pit of fine ash, I was amazed!!! And so to my question…. I note that the stem on my pipe, connects Vulcanite to Vulcanite. Is it ok to separate the stem from the shank before two hours, in order to facilitate a quick clean between smokes, or does the obligatory two hours still stand?

Hi Dan – thanks for the positive feedback and pleased to hear you have discovered the joys of pipe smoking. Not only is it a more satisfying experience to undertake as you say, there is also so much great history and culture associated with it too! As to your question, clean away as you like… I’ve never heard of any problems caused by cleaning too quickly. Best Regards…

2. avatar Martin Philpott says:

OK one of the pipes i really like the look of is the BBB Three Star Full Bent. I keep going back to this one and i am very tempted. However i need some clarification please. I notice this pipe has a metal filter, what difference does this make over other filters such as the 6mm and 9mm. Does it give a different smoke and how does it effect the smoke. I will be looking to smoke aromatic tobaccos.
    Thank you for your attention to this matter. Kindest regards, Martin.

Hi Martin – thanks for your enquiry. The metal ‘filter’ is a more subtle type of system, which is really only there to cool the smoke as it passes through the shank. It doesn’t remove tar, etc, so you should get the full flavour of any tobacco you smoke but at the cost of less effective actual filtration. I hope that helps…

• avatar Dan charles says:

Hi Martin – I smoke a bbb with a metal filter and find that a considered pipe pack results in a soothing smoke with no bite.

3. avatar Marcus says:

Why not check out our latest newsletter…? Available on the Home Page now.

4. avatar Martin Philpott says:

I would like to take up the hobby of pipe smoking (is that what it is, a hobby, pastime). I have never smoked before bar the odd cigarette here and there. However i have wonderful memories from when i was growing up of a gentleman smoking his pipe that had the most wonderful sweet aroma to it. I also need something to help me relax and wondered if the pipe would do this? I have read your fantastic beginners section which has helped enormously but it is still a bit of a minefield out there for the total novice like myself. Obviously i dont want to spend a huge amount on a first pipe (just in case i dont enjoy it) so what would you say is a reasonable amount to spend on that all important first pipe?
    I should also say i love the aroma of all the sweet tobaccos so this is what i would be looking to smoke, will it harm a pipe if i only smoke the sweet tobaccos through it?
    Many thanks for your attention to this, regards, Martin.

Hi Martin – thanks for your comments. As you have already noticed this is a very broad pastime (my preferred word for it!) with a huge amount of personal preference involved and a bewildering amount of choice. I believe pipe smoking will achieve what you are looking for if you give it the time and attention it needs – it is great to fire up a bowl and spend a little time reading or just contemplating. I find a smoke in my hammock smoothes out the kinks from a rough day no end!Just start somewhere would be my view – if you can stretch to one of our Budget Starter Kits then that will ensure you have all the basics you need (if not then budget about £25-£40 for the pipe alone), and then from the sounds of it you’ll want an Aromatic tobacco, so your best bet would be to go for our mini sampler. It costs about the same as a single pouch of tobacco but will give you the chance to try all of our different ‘sweet’ blends. Smoking a particular type of tobacco won’t harm your pipe – many people subscribe to the ‘one pipe for one particular tobacco blend’ rule but then again many of us can’t afford a new pipe each time we want to try a new blend and it doesn’t seem to cause too many issues! The main thing is to persevere if at first you struggle to find the right technique – it’ll come in the end. I hope that helps…

• avatar Martin Philpott says:

Hello Marcus, thank you so much for getting back to me. Yes, I agree pastime is such a nice word and I believe it encompasses all that pipe smoking would mean to me.

Firing up a bowl the way you describe sounds idyllic, I do plenty of reading and a great deal of contemplating so I am confident the pipe shall fit into my lifestyle perfectly.

I have taken a good look at your pipe section and there are a couple I have my eye on, now it is just a case of deciding which I prefer first. The mini sampler will be the perfect partner to my first pipe and that will be the route I take. I just have one more question at this stage, sorry if I am being a pain with all these questions. How many times a day can a single pipe be smoked, I will be looking at two or possibly three times in one day, would this be ok bearing in mind I would rest the pipe and allow it to cool in between. So I would be looking at a morning, afternoon and evening smoke on some days.

Thank you once again for you kind response, I will be making a purchase very soon and hope to become a regular of your wonderful array of pipes and tobacco.

Regards, Martin.

Hi Martin – we are more than happy to help so ask as many questions as you wish… Regarding how many times a pipe can be smoked, in an ideal world you would probably only smoke it once or twice a day but since many people only have 1 or 2 pipes this doesn’t often happen. As long as you break a pipe in ‘gently’ and ensure it is rested sufficiently such that it is cool before the next smoke there should be no issues. I know people that smoke several small bowls in short bursts which doesn’t allow the pipe to cool at all who have no problems whatsoever. My advice would be treat the texts as guidelines rather than rules, and find a way that suits you!

5. avatar JT says:

Very many thanks for our latest order which was delivered today. A fantastic service!! My husband now has two new pipes – he has been puffing away since 1946 when he came out of the Navy in World War II aged 21 years. At least we know how to get them now, as all outlets around here have closed.
    Very many thanks from a very satisfied customer. JT

6. avatar Jag Davda says:

I HAVE BEEN BUYING PIPE AND TOBACCO FROM YOU FOR LAST 10 YEARS AND I AM VERY HAPPY WITH YOUR SERVICES . THANKS JAG DAVDA

7. avatar Marcus says:

Our thirst for knowledge is unquenchable! To understand our customers even better we are running the latest of our short surveys. If you’d like to contribute please click the following link. Thanks! http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SZL5CWG

8. avatar eric stockley says:

Thank you for the regular issue of your brilliant catalogue . over the past 52 years I have a collection of over 60 pipes from dunhills down to corncobs.happy pipe smoking to all. Regards eric

Thanks for your comments Eric, we’re delighted you enjoy it! And that’s quite a collection too…

9. avatar Trevor says:

How often should a filter be changed?

Hi Trevor – its a common question but a hard one to answer as it depends on a lot of factors such as length of each smoke, strength of tobacco, type of filtration system, etc. A Magic Inch papyrate will often be changed after each smoke but if only lightly stained can be left for 2 or 3. Same with a 9mm system. The best thing to do is clean the pipe after each use and base your decision on a visual appraisal of the filter. Hope that helps…

10. avatar John Tennent says:

I ordered up my fourth short smoke 10 minute pipe yesterday 14/08/2012 and when I finish writing this I am going to have a smoke of it. Thanks for everything and keep up the good work and super sonic postage. Thanks John

11. avatar Charles says:

Hi, I’m completely new to the world of pipes. I have just bought a full bent Milano, pipe tool, and some filters but I am yet too buy any tobacco, it was rather daunting looking at all the options, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good tobacco to start with. Thanks

Hi Charles – welcome to the world of pipe smoking! You’re off to a good start with the pipe, so my advice regarding tobacco would be to buy one of our 5g sampler packs. This will be the most cost effective way for you to try a number of different blends and styles to find out which you like best. So the main question becomes, ‘Are you looking for a tobacco taste or a tobacco with an overlaid fragrance/taste?’ If the former, try out Traditional Blend sampler and if the latter our Aromatic blend sampler. Personally I prefer Aromatics and in my opinion they are a good introduction for beginners so you can understand the strength, style and flavours you like/don’t like. Hope that helps…

12. avatar Marcus says:

Less than 1 week until we draw the next Product Review £10 Voucher so if you’ve bought something from us recently (or not) and haven’t yet reviewed it now’s a great time!

13. avatar dean cumming says:

i inherited a pipe from my great grandfather and searched the branding and found out it was made by Suskind brothers could anyone tell me anything about this pipe at all? thankyou.

Hi Dean – I did a quick search and found out that the Suskind brothers were London based tobacconists around 1885 or so. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to find out much more… Hopefully one of our regulars may be able to shed some more light!

14. avatar peter catlin says:

Can I take the metal parts off a Quintex to clean stem and bowl. Bleach will discolour the bright and the stem

Hi Peter. My view on this is probably not and this has been echoed by one of our customers when I opened the question out on our Facebook page. Best bet would be tape off the bright areas I think…

15. avatar Sergeant Matron says:

Just received my first order (delivered at warp speed I might add – thank you) from yourselves – Carey Explorer Brown full-bent Billiard & sundries. Although a relative newcomer to the world of the pipe I think I can safely say that it is a lovely pipe. Just off for my first smoke and looking forward to a couple of nights in a remote highland bothy at the weekend with friends and my new pipe!

16. avatar Marcus says:

Thanks to the guys at Pipe Smoker Unleashed magazine for including an article about us this month. Read it here http://ow.ly/bPQjR

17. avatar Marcus says:

Congartulations to Mr Adams, winner of this month’s £10 voucher for his great, concise review of a 10 Minute pipe… “Been smoking Peterson pipes for years. This pipe beats all my other pipes.”
    Thanks!

18. avatar david gatward says:

Got the sampler packs – such a great idea! Wish more places did this. A great way to try new stuff. Currently taken with Old Belt Virginia Blend, and Old English Ready Rubbed.

19. avatar Marcus says:

With Cat 109 winging its way out to customers we have started uploading new products – cigars, lighters, pipes – online. Enjoy!

20. avatar john godkin says:

O/No.124038. Replacement pipe arrived safe and sound today. What an excellent service,thank you so much for such a swift response,barely 48 hours, superb.Thank you,and Kind regards John Godkin

• avatar Jenny says:

Dear John, Thank you for the positive feedback. Now you can relax and enjoy the weekend with your new pipe!
      Kind regards, Jenny

21. avatar G.Vrijman says:

From one of our Dutch customers… “Do you still repair pipes and are you able to provide replacement Magic Inch mouthpieces? When you had a Netherlands outlet we could order new pipes – is that still possible?”

Hi there. With our new website customers are able to buy pipes from us virtually anywhere in the world so please do go ahead. And as for repairs and replacements, we would need to take a look at the pipe in question as I’m assuming its quite old, but in principal yes we can.

22. avatar chris says:

My Goodness me, for how long have I felt a lone piper and now by chance I stumble upon this excellent and professional site full of Pipers!!
    I have applied to join the club already.
    A society without the gentle dignity of a well crafted pipe and piper is a desolate place indeed!!

Hi Chris – we are delighted that you are pleased with your find. Welcome aboard!

23. avatar William Adams says:

I love a Black cavendist tobbacco. What is your nearest to this.

• avatar Jenny says:

Dear William, Our Black Aromatic No.2006 is a dark and satisfying blend of Black Cavendish laden with it’s own natural juices. For something a little lighter, our Soft Aromatic Mixture No.2004 has bright Virginia added to it for a milder smoke.
      We now offer MINI samplers which enable you to try several blends without the need to purchase a 50gm pouch of each blend. Click here for more information: http://www.eacarey.co.uk/shop/tobacco.html?tobacco_style=98
      Kind regards, Jenny

24. avatar Dimitris Pothitos says:

Hello and have a great 1st of May celebration. I want to be a member of this nice pipe Salon!

Kind regards,

Dimitris

Thanks Dimitris, and welcome! We have to wait until May 7th for our fun but hope you are enjoying your day…

25. avatar Marcus says:

Great news for the ever increasing number of overseas customers… p&p now just £3.45/order, regardless of destination!

26. avatar DarrenH says:

Hi guys,
    You heard this one?
    There were two skiers at the top of a slope arguing about the best way to ski to the bottom. One of the skiers put forward the argument that one should zig, zag, zig, zag whilst the other skier was adamant it was zag, zig, zag, zig.
    To settle the argument they asked a passing man. The man responded that he didn’t know as he was a tobogganist.
    Oh, said one of the skiers, in that case I’ll have a tin of Condor and a box of matches please.

27. avatar Marcus says:

A bit of fun for a Thursday morning – we are providing the pipe for the Opening Ceremony of the Chap Olympiad later this year in London, surely the ‘must attend’ event of the year?! http://www.thechapolympiad.com

28. avatar Marcus says:

I ought to mention that we now have over 440 ‘Likes’ on our Facebook page so why not click on the FB link and join in the discussion?!

29. avatar Marcus says:

Congratulations to Mr DH, winner of this month’s £10 voucher for his review of Carey’s Soft Aromatic Mixture Tobacco (amongst others). Thanks for contributing!

30. avatar Marcus says:

I’m proud to say that over the last few months we have served pipesmokers from 16 different countries, including UAE, Vietnam and La Reunion!

• avatar Darren says:

Hi Marcus,
      Thanks for the voucher, much appreciated. I saw your film recently on You Tube and it’s nice to put a face to the name. I’ve also been pleased to see Jenny as I have been fortunate to correspond with her also.
      I’m writing this whilst consuming a couple of glasses of red wine and a bowl of Erinmore flake in my Peterson Donegal Rocky 80s. I’m being specific as I can’t tell you how much I’m enjoying both after a weeks work.
      I would really like to aim this observation to new pipe smokers because I have only been a pipe smoker myself for two months or so. If you have just taken up the pipe and find you can’t find a tobacco, or indeed a pipe that you can be happy with then don’t stop trying different blends or different pipes. The reason I say this is because I am only just, after two months, really appreciating how certain tobacco blends smoke better in certain types of pipe. I currently have four favourite pipes, and find I have to match the blend to the pipe before I truly enjoy it. Try different pipes with different blends and be prepared to be astounded by the difference it makes. I make no apologies for the length of this post as I think new pipe smokers should be made aware of the fact that a tobaccos flavour can be truly enhanced by having a selection of pipes to smoke it in.
      Thanks all at Careys.

Great comments Darren, many thanks for your input. I will post your thoughts on our Facebook and Twitter feeds as I think other new smokers will find them very informative. I also totally agree, having smoked tobacco in certain pipes and been entirely unimpressed and then stumled across a winning combination – no doubt one of the reasons pipe smoking continues to interest and amaze!

31. avatar Marcus says:

Good news today for fans of small pipes… we have dropped the price of Corn Cobs to only £8.95, and 10 Minute Magic Inch briars to £19.95. Happy smoking!

32. avatar Marcus says:

New blog post just uploaded – we’ve dusted off the showreel and put a little extra background to The Daily Telegraph Business Club film from last year…

33. avatar Marcus says:

Congratulations Mr JH, you are the winner of this month’s product review £10 discount voucher. Thanks for contributing!

34. avatar Marcus says:

As a result of sales of our limited edition Scott-Amundsen Centenary Pipe I am delighted to announce that we have been able to make a significant contribution to the Royal British Legion fund raising effort. Many thanks to our generous customers!

35. avatar Marcus says:

We’ve done the sums and despite an 8% increase in UK Tobacco Duty from 6pm today we’ll be keeping our tobacco price increase to about 6% in an effort to help our loyal customers.

36. avatar Marcus says:

Disappointing to see that the Budget 2012 has once again refused to achnowledge the difference between pipe smoking and other types of smoking. We will all be charged significantly extra in a bid to stop people taking up cigarettes…

37. avatar Daz Holmes says:

Hi,
    I have just ordered some tobacco’s from your wonderful site and am a fan of ennerdale flake tobacco.
    Could you advise me which is the nearest flavour to ennerdale in your tobacco arsenal.
    Thanks

• avatar Jenny says:

Hi Daz,
      Our Dark Flake No.7 contains Virginia and Burley (same as Ennerdale) so that could be a good equivalent.
      We now offer special mini packs which enable you to try a couple of pipefuls of each blend (5g) without spending much money. They can be found on our website, No’s 2205 and 2405.

38. avatar Marcus says:

Its always nice to receive positive feedback, and this one particularly so… ‘You’re all absolute superstars – it arrived at my office today!
    Thank you so much for dealing with this so promptly – you’ve made an old man very happy………& my dad will be very grateful as well!!!!!!!!!’

39. avatar Marcus says:

Catalogue 108 winging its way to customers as I type… Enjoy!

40. avatar Marcus says:

Read all about our recent trip to Buckingham Palace to meet the Scott-Amundsen Centenary Race Teams http://ow.ly/9bWoX

41. avatar Marcus says:

Heading to the Palace tonight for the Race to the Pole Welcome Home Party! Will post a quick article once back from the hallowed halls…

42. A superb selection of tobacco. I like Old English Number 7 – but I have also taken a liking to Bruno.

43. avatar Marcus says:

Many thanks to doc’spipe for his great review of 2033 Bruno Special – we’re pleased you’re so happy with it!

44. avatar George says:

I can well remember the first Carey pipe that I purchased back in ninteen seventy eight. The deal at the time was that you could order a magic inch Cary pipe smoke it for a month and if it wasn’t the sweetest, coolest and dryest pipe that you had ever smoked, then you could smash it with a hammer, send back the pieces and you didn’t pay a thing. I still have my original pipe and enjoy smoking it today. In those days, they were London made of fine mediteranian briar. It still looks the most handsom pipe in my collection along with several others. They still keep that promise even today. Good old fashioned value for money. Keep up the good work and best wishes.

Many thanks for your comments George! We aren’t able to offer that ‘buy it, smoke it, smash it, return it’ any more for legal reasons but the campaign is fondly remembered by many…

45. avatar Marcus says:

Congratulations to the Scott Team, and thanks for the photo. Check out the latest blog post…

46. avatar john maguire says:

How do you get the 5g sampler pack?

47. avatar Marcus says:

Congrats to Mark D, winner of this month’s product review discount voucher! Lots of great reviews last month but please remember you have to be logged in when you submit the review for your email address to register!

48. avatar Marcus says:

Mini tobacco sampler packs are now online! Aromatic and Traditional versions are available, with 5g of each blend…

49. avatar Marcus says:

Wishing all our customers a happy 2012! We are back and firing on all cylinders and to start the year have some great news regarding tobacco samplers. Watch this space!

50. avatar Marcus says:

We are closed over the Xmas period, back in 3rd Jan 2012 so any orders placed after tonight will not be processed until next year…Thanks to all our customers and wishing you a very Merry Christmas!